Biased Observer

Monday, June 13, 2005 at 12:53 AM

Too much too soon

There reaches a point where something good becomes something not so good. Like Wang Zhen, I did a review of my bloglines subscriptions and cleaned house, removing some of the more popular blogs around town. Given that personal blogs take whichever path its owner so desires, there is little point in registering displeasure or whining about it. Don't like it? Then don't read it.

I actually had a rather long entry I was working on, talking about some of the recent developments in the local blogging community, in particular the rise in popularity of a Singapore-focused metablog as well as the upcoming bloggers' convention. However, the more I looked over it, the less I felt inclined to publish it. For one, I did not feel at liberty to critique a certain segment of bloggers simply because we hold different opinions of how blogging should present itself to the public. As some so tirelessly admonish to the detractors, if we so disagree with the premise, then we could jolly-well start our own metablog and publicity campaign. Neither of which is of any interest to me. So yes, it is put-up and shut-up. Never the best of ways to challenge an incumbent, but given that I have no intention of unseating them, there seems little point in picking a fight to inherit a mantle I have no interest in championing.

That aside, it's been a fascinating few months for the Singapore blogging community. It seems like an almost too perfect case study of Malcolm Gladwell's concept of the tipping point, triggered in large part by a certain defamation threat. Combine that with a few mildly inflated egos fanned by a press hungry to get in on the scene, and voila - suddenly there is a cadre of self-appointed blogging elders holding court. Grab the opportunity and run with it - nothing wrong with that really. Had a similar opportunity landed in my inbox I'd have declined, so I can hardly hold that against anyone.

What does concern me as a blogger, is that the dominant blogging culture right now centers around personalities, and not so much blogging. Of being seen, being in the papers, being linked by the elders, being part of a circle of coolness. Somewhere along the way, blogging fell by the wayside, a mere peripheral entity, and the focus became more about being associated with popular bloggers. It's like one gigantic meme.

My feelings towards this recent phenomenon are mine alone, and I don't expect readers to agree with this nor do I want anyone to take this as a push for certain entities to do things a different way. I've made that pretty clear.

Time is the best judge of things. Whether something is a mere fad or has legs for the long run. And even then, being a mere fad is not inherently a poorer destiny than a long running blog. Either serves a purpose, and as long as that purpose is aligned with the intent of the blogger, that's all that really matters.

Blogger takchek wrote

And there are some who choose to stay in the shadows.  

~

Blogger Biased Observer wrote

And for good reason.

Thanks for reading. And apologies, but your earlier comment got deleted somehow when I was reformatting my blog.  

~

Blogger jeffyen wrote

What does concern me as a blogger, is that the dominant blogging culture right now centers around personalities, and not so much blogging.

hehe I don't quite agree with this. Are 'personalities' and 'blogging' really mutually exclusive? Probably not. I actually think one influences/reflects the other, and vice versa, and one is not really preferable to the other. And you can't have one without the other.

I also don't think there's such a thing as 'self appointed bloggers holding court'. In the context of the Internets where barriers to entry is zero, anyone can 'hold court', and I think in fact, everyone is holding their own courts... Anyway, I think at least one the elders truly deserves the title (if there actually is one!), putting his brown life on the line for quite a long time already...  

~

Blogger Biased Observer wrote

I'm talking about when personalities become bigger than their blogs. In my view, blogs are driven by their content, which are in turn driven by the personalities behind that. But there comes a point where things flip, and the blogger becomes the star and not so much what they write. The pity is when what made the blog successful in the first place is lost as a result of the 'fame' the blogger rightfully earns. But as I said, a personal blog is whatever the blogger wants.

As for your second paragraph - I don't disagree entirely, but perhaps what I wrote came across a little stronger than intended. You win the audience that you work for and 'deserve'. My beef is probably more with the press for being lazy and not exploring the numerous other vibrant communities and instead revisiting the same ones over and over. But then again, that could well be a function of others not being interested in the media attention to begin with.  

~

Post a Comment